Medical Laboratory Assistant (NHS)
Taskmaster are currently seeking a Medical Laboratory Assistant for an NHS client in the BD9 area.
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Duration: 3 months initially, with scope for extension.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES:
Under supervision and following Standard Operating Procedures the following duties may be carried out:
* Undertake in service training leading to the completion of the MLA logbook
* Deal with telephone enquiries.
* Liaise with and despatch consumables to service users.
* Solve day to day problems e.g. Mislabelled specimens
* Sort and prepare work for diagnostic testing
* Prioritise and fast track urgent and emergency work, including samples from the Haematology and Lithium clinics
* Assisting the Phlebotomist to bleed children in out-patients
* Input PID and other data into the laboratory computer
* Load urgent samples onto analysers in the main laboratories
* Maintain stocks of reagents and consumables.
* Prepare test materials, such as making up solutions of chemicals.
* Disposal of waste.
* Disinfection and cleaning of equipment and working areas.
* The routine maintenance of equipment.
* When appropriate assist in the training of new staff
* To participate in an annual Staff Development Review, Continual Professional Development and the educational activities of the Department.
* To carry out basic technical duties under the supervision of state registered staff, e.g., out-patient INR testing and to provide basic maintenance to analysers.
* To participate in monitoring Clinical Effectiveness and the audit activities of the Department and to contribute to the Trust procedures and activities in support of Clinical Governance.
* To participate in ensuring that the Department complies with the requirements of Clinical Laboratory Accreditation, (CPA) Ltd.
* To be able to identify, handle safely, use and store all substances hazardous to health and comply with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations.
* To co-operate with supervisors, managers and other employees to achieve a healthy and safe working environment, to take reasonable care of your own health and safety and that of other persons who may be affected by your actions, to carry out your responsibilities in ways that help to ensure a safe and healthy place of work.
* In the course of your work you are to bring to the attention of your supervisor or manager any situation which reasonably could be considered to represent a serious or immediate danger to the health & safety of any person or any matter which reasonably could be considered to represent a shortcoming in the Trust’s health & safety protection arrangements.
* To ensure the security at all times, including the risk from fire, of the Department.
* To lift and manoeuvre lightgoods and equipment in accordance with manual handling regulations and good practice.
* To deal politely and efficiently with any enquiries from staff, patients and any members of the public.
* To work within the Trust Equal Opportunities Policy and promote equality of opportunity at work and equality of access to healthcare at all times.
* To ensure confidentiality at all times, to be aware of the Data Protection Act in relation to all information concerning patients and to only release information to those acting in an official capacity as authorised by Trust and/or Departmental policy.
* To participate in the CPP shift system on a rostered basis as and when required, including evening and weekend working. If participating your duties should include:
* performing basic technical tasks, e.g. ESR’s, monospots, under the direction of state registered staff
* filing samples into sample storage racks from the analysers
* filing and distributing Pathology reports on weekends
* making manual blood films for examination by state registered staff
* general filing, including bone marrow and Blood transfusion reports
* The Trust has decided that staff cannot smoke at work except in a limited number of designated areas and at appropriate times. Other than that staff will not be allowed to smoke during their duty period.
* Any other duties necessary for the successful performance of the role.
Recent graduates of Biomedical Science or related subjects would be particularly welcome.
DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS THAT WE RECEIVE, WE ARE ONLY ABLE TO RESPOND TO SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES. IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED A RESPONSE WITHIN 5 WORKING DAYS, THEN UNFORTUNATELY YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN YOUR APPLICATION FOR THE ROLE ON THIS OCCASION.
Taskmaster is operating as an employment business / agency for this vacancy.