Thrid line engineer - Islington Council
Pay: £27-28 p/h (umbrella)
Duration: 6 Month
Hours: 35 a week
Scope: Inside IR-35
Primary job function:
- To be the Council’s subject matter expert on the management of physical, virtual and cloud provisioned servers (and other forms of ICT processing capability), advising the ICT Architect, Business Analysts and other colleagues in this field.
- To develop, implement, review and refine policies, procedures and processes for the management of physical, virtual and cloud provisioned servers (or other forms of ICT processing capability), aligned with the service requirements, attitude to risk and financial resources of the Council.
- To maintain an efficient and effective ICT processing capability, through the use of physical, virtual and cloud provisioned servers or by other means, ensuring services are in line with the agreed policies, procedures and processes; tested regularly and fully documented.
- To lead on the restoration physical, virtual and cloud provisioned servers and other forms of ICT processing capability in a disaster recovery or business continuity situation providing information and advice to the on-call Director or delegated authorities as appropriate.
- To research, review, investigate, disseminate information on, develop and implement new technologies to support the Council's operational and strategic objectives.
- To engage with suppliers and other third parties to review, upgrade, enhance and replace the 500 applications running on our servers; monitoring and reviewing their work to ensure our data is secure and technical standards maintained.
- To monitor the performance of physical, virtual and cloud provisioned servers, and other forms of ICT processing capability; identifying, diagnosing and resolving incidents and problems; fine-tuning the configuration of the ICT processing capabilities for optimum operating efficiency.
- To monitor SolarWinds and VMware alerts and reports for incidents; maintaining accurate records; alerting system owners and management; and implementing corrective action.
- To manage the capacity of ICT processing services, develop roadmaps and investment plans.
- To manage on a day-to-day basis the contract with the third party suppliers providing our software licencing and software support and hardware supports service; ensuring make optimal use of their services.
- To monitor compliance with the contract with the third party supplier; ensuring both parties fulfil their obligations while maintaining a relationship built on mutual trust and understanding.
- The service operates from 8am to 5.30pm so you will be required to work as directed within these hours; and you may be required to carry out essential maintenance work on our monthly “Shutdown Sunday” or at other times out of hours.
- Occasional lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as servers, computers and peripherals.
- To achieve agreed service outcomes and outputs, and personal appraisal targets, as agreed by the line manager.
- To undertake training and constructively take part in meetings, supervision, seminars and other events designed to improve communication and assist with the effective development of the post and post holder.
- The post holder is expected to be committed to the Council’s core values of public service, quality, equality and empowerment and to demonstrate this commitment in the way they carry out their duties.
Skills, knowledge and Experience:
- Extensive experience of managing Microsoft Server and VMware server virtualisation as part of a professional ICT team supporting a large, multi-service, security regulated organisation.
- Current vendor certifications to include Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE 2008/12)or VMware VCP 5.1.
Extensive knowledge of networking principles, practices and technologies and the ability to apply this knowledge in a practical environment to deliver high performance, reliable and secure services.
Knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework relevant to the management of a public sector ICT service
Knowledge of and proven ability to work to standards including ITIL and Prince II
Ability to work regularly one Sunday a month for scheduled maintenance, upgrades and installations and occasionally in the evenings and at weekends for other maintenance, upgrades and installations that cannot be completed during the scheduled monthly shutdowns