Note for Southwark managers / HR – this is pitched at Southwark grade 8 level.
The Finance Officer will manage finance and accountancy systems; undertaking a variety of technical tasks which arise in the financial year.
Allocated tasks may include the following.
1. Managing accounts payables and receivables transactions using appropriate systems and ensuring appropriate authorisation,
2. Dealing with queries from managers’, vendors’ and customers’ (including service providers / service users), taking appropriate action to resolve.
3. Carry out system reconciliations, identifying discrepancies and taking remedial action.
4. Participate in the Council’s closing of accounts programme.
5. Provide information and appropriate financial advice to budget holders and senior officers.
6. Participate in the preparation of bids for funding.
7. Participate in the preparation of financial information for internal decision making processes, e.g. Committee reports.
8. Provide statistical and financial analysis.
9. Taking ownership of a group / range of customers or vendors (includes service providers / service users / contractors) and carrying out regular checks of outstanding balances and actions required.
10. Reporting suspected fraud and malpractice in line with the Council’s Fraud response Plan. Supporting the investigation of any suspected fraud or malpractice.
1. Educational achievements to the level of 5 GCSEs or equivalent.
2.Currently working towards a professional accountancy qualification relevant to public finance.
3. Knowledge of local government finance.
4. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
5. Experience of
6. Able to analyse basic financial data and reports.
7. Able to meet deadlines.
8. Good communication and written skills.
9. Knowledge of how equal opportunities apply in an administrative/ finance service