Permanent contract - 40 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world! If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have a vacancy for a Construction Manager to join our Capital Development Team, to support the Lead Project Managers and Project Managers on higher value strategic projects ensuring our build projects are up to specification and comply with current health and safety legislation.
The team are responsible for the delivery of multiple minor enhancements of value up to £10,000 and over 20 CAPEX projects a year, varying in size and scope from £10,000 to £500,000. They are responsible for the delivery of the Strategic Development Plan with over 10 current projects which range in value up to £10M.
The Construction Manager role:
- Support specified projects, ensuring that the project build is to client standards and design specification and monitoring the quality of construction
- Be familiar with all relevant drawings and written instructions, checking them and using them as a reference when inspecting work
- Input into buildability details during drawing and design reviews
- Ensure that all contractors on your projects provide the documentation required, to demonstrate H&S statutory and legislative compliance before they come on to site and that documentation is accurate and up to date
- Ensure compliance with CDM regulations, including undertaking Principal Designer/Principal Contractor roles and duties where required
- Ensure that works comply with the agreed method statement and risk assessment and comply with current health and safety legislation and that there is no risk to staff or visitors
- Liaise and regularly communicate with colleagues and other departments in addition to external contractors and suppliers to ensure co-ordination of all activities undertaken across the Zoo
- Produce project monitoring, update and variation reports that accurately detail resources, programme and quality issues in line with Capital Development processes and procedures
- Undertake a project lead and management on small works, preparing schedules of work and obtaining quotes and managing costs during the works. Ensure projects are delivered on time, to specification and within budget, and liaise with and engage internal stakeholders
The successful candidate for this Construction Manager role will have:
- Significant experience working in a construction site management role within a live working environment, preferably within a zoo or visitor attraction
- Proven experience of:
- Managing building and estate projects from inception to completion
- Working in a collaborative and diplomatic manner with a broad range of stakeholder groups
- Building design and specification across a broad spectrum of building types
- Preparing budget estimates for programmes of work
- Building technology in respect of construction and maintenance
- Health & Safety risk management
- Demonstrable thorough knowledge of construction methods, building regulations and other appropriate legislation
- Understanding of construction industry forms of contract
- Knowledge and understanding of Construction Design Management. Regulations, including familiarity of Principal Designer and Principal Contractor roles and duties.
- Membership of an appropriate professional body (CIOB)
- A valid SMSTS certificate
- A NEBOSH construction certificate
- An IOSH Managing Safely certificate
- Appreciation of use of sustainable materials and construction technologies
Hours of work are 40 hours per week. The normal working week is Monday to Friday with hours varying between 07:30 and 17:30, working in co-ordination with other team members. Some flexibility regarding working days and hours will be required, to suit project requirements.
The salary for this position is £36,733.78 per annum in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found on the Chester Zoo careers page.
To apply for this position, please click the ‘apply’ button on this page where you’ll be redirected to the vacancy on the Chester Zoo website. You will then be required to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for this Construction Manager role.
Closing date for applications is 17th July 2019
Interviews for this position will be held on 29th July 2019
All applications to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.